- 2 large baking sheets
- parchment paper
- Large mixing bowl
- wooden spoon
- Rolling Pin
- cookie cutters ofyour choice
- oven mitts
- 2 1/2 cup all-purposeflour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 8 tbsp butter, diced
- 3/4 cup darkbrown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrupor honey
- 1 egg, beaten
- candies, raisins,and royal icingfor decoration
- Preheat the oven to 350°F(180°C). Line 2 large bakingsheets with parchment paper. If youonly have 1 sheet, you will needto bake the cookies in 2 batches.
- Place the flour, ginger, andbaking soda in a large bowl.Stir the ingredients together witha wooden spoon until they arethoroughly combined.
- Rub the butter into the mixtureusing your fingertips. Continuerubbing in the butter until the mixtureresembles fine bread crumbs. Stir inthe sugar.
- Stir in the syrup or honey andegg, until the mixture starts tocome together in a dough. Pour thedough onto a lightly floured surfaceand knead it until smooth.
- Roll out the dough on a lightlyfloured surface to a thicknessof ¼in (5mm), then, using yourcutters, carefully cut out the shapes.Reroll the leftover dough and cutout more cookies.
- Carefully place the cookies onthe baking sheets and bake for9–10 minutes. Let the cookies coolon the baking sheets. Decorate withcandies, raisins, and royal icing.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!