- ½ a Ceylon cinnamon stick or 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp freshly ground cloves
- 1 tsp fresh ground coriander
- 1 tsp fresh ground mace or nutme9
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 100 g Brazil nuts
- 100 g almonds
- 100 g walnuts
- 75 g hazelnuts
- 125 g honey
- 100 g dark chocolate (min. 856)
- 125 g icing sugar
- 175 g candied fruit e.g. angelica, lemon, citron and Seville orange
- 75 g plain flour
- icing sugar to decorate if desired
- Toast the nuts in the oven at 180°C or in a dry pan, until they smell great and have a little colour. Chop the nuts coarsely and put them in a bowl.
- Melt the honey and chocolate over hot water until fully liquid. Add the icing sugar and melt to become liquid again.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly mix the nuts with the candied fruits, flour, and spices. Add the warm chocolate mixture – it’s vital that it is still warm- and thoroughly knead the cake mix. This is best done with your hands, even if it’s a bit hot.
- Put the mix into a baking tin (20 cm diameter) that has baking paper and press level (to about 3 cm).
- Bake at 180°C for 25-30 minutes. The cake should have a bit of colour on top but must not go hard and dark brown. It will set when it gets cold.
- Cool the cake on a wire rack.
- Keep in a cold, dry, dark place in aluminium foil or baking paper, in an airtight cake tin.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!