AGED VEGGIE SALAD
AGED VEGGIE SALAD
Watching people use prime leaves of lettuce,celery, and fennel stalks only to then throwthe hearts and cores into the compost almostbreaks my heart. So, I created this saladto save the delicate hearts and bitter cores.
- 1 UPPLAGA Plate
- 1 SNOBBIG Place mat
- Day-old bread
- Lettuce cores
- Fennel fronds
- Celery leaves
- ½ (26 g) onion, thinly sliced
- 1½ tsp (9 g) salt
- 3 tsp (45 ml) vinegar (white or red wine)
- 5 tbsp 5 tbsp (75 ml) olive oil
- ½ cup (10–15 g) fresh herbs such as parsley,basil, sage, thyme, rosemary, etc.
- ¼ cup (60 ml) herb oil (recipe above)
- 1 small zucchini, sliced into rounds
- ½ cup (75 g) tomatoes, chopped,or use cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp (9 g) chili pepper, sliced
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- ⅔ cup (100 g) green beans, trimmedand blanched
- ½ cup (60 g) day-old bread, torn into piecesabout 1-inch (2½ cm)
- 2 cups (150 g) lettuce cores such as romaine,iceberg, radicchio, chopped
- ¼ cup (32 g) cucumber, chopped
- to taste fennel fronds, chopped
- to taste celery leaves, chopped
- Any other vegetables you might enjoy
- ½ cup (125 ml) pickled onions, reserve thevinegar (recipe above)
- 1 oz (30 g) feta cheese
- Place onion in a small bowl. Add salt andvinegar, mix well. Set aside for a minimumof 10 minutes.
- In a frying pan, over medium-low heat,add olive oil and herbs. Gently warm forabout 3 to 5 minutes. Set aside in a bowl.
- In the same frying pan, over medium-highheat, add 2 tbsp (30 ml) of the herb oil.Add the zucchini and sauté for 3 minutes.Add the tomatoes and chili pepper, seasonwith salt and black pepper, and sauté for3 minutes. Add the green beans and sautéfor another 3 minutes or until warmed.Cover to keep warm and set aside.
- In a frying pan, heat 2 tbsp (30 ml) of theherb oil over medium heat. Add the bread,season with salt and black pepper and fryfor 5 to 7 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- In a serving bowl, arrange the lettucecores, cucumber, fennel fronds, celeryleaves, and any other vegetables youprefer. Sprinkle with the pickled onionsand reserve the vinegar. Top with thewarm, sautéed zucchini mixture andherbed croutons.
- Drizzle with the remaining herb oil andreserved vinegar from the pickled onions.Sprinkle with feta cheese.
- Serve warm.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!