- 1 cake compressed fresh yeast
- 1 cup lukewarm milk
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup dried currants
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1 Granny Smith apple – peeled,cored and finely chopped
- 1 quart vegetable oil fordeep-frying
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar fordusting
- Break up the compressed yeast, and stir into the warm milk. Let stand for a few minutes to dissolve.Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl. Stir the yeast mixture and egg into the flour and mix into asmooth batter.
- Stir in the currants, raisins and apple. Cover the bowl, and leave the batter in a warmplace to rise until double in size. This will take about 1 hour
- Heat the oil in a deep-fryer, or heavy deep pan to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Use 2 metal spoonsto shape scoops of dough into balls, and drop them carefully into the hot oil.
- Fry the balls until golden brown, about 8 minutes. The doughnuts should be soft and not greasy. If theoil is not hot enough, the outside will be tough and the insides greasy.
- Drain finished doughnuts on papertowels and dust with confectioners’ sugar. Serve them piled on a dish with more confectioners’ sugardusted over them. Eat them hot if possible.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!