Canning Recipes Tristar Cares Before opening the Unit
Magnetic Lid Lifter: Use the lid lifter to remove sterilized canning lids from hot water for easy placement on jars.
Canning Funnel: The wide-mouth funnel features a fast-flow design that is ideal for wide and regular jars.
Kitchen Tongs: The sure-grip tongs are great for handling, turning, and serving hot foods with comfortable handles.
Jar Wrench: Use the jar wrench to loosen the jar caps and any size screw-on lids easily.
Jar Lifter: Use the cushion-coated lifter to remove hot jars from the Power Quick Pot.
- Hot surface when heated.
- Hand-washing is recommended.
60-Day Limited Warranty
Tristar warrants that all parts and components are free of defects in materials and workmanship for 60 days. This warranty
is valid only in accordance with the conditions set forth below:
- The warranty extends only to the original consumer purchaser and is not transferable. In addition, proof of purchase must be provided for the 60-day warranty to be applicable.
- This limited warranty is the only written or expresses warranty given by Tristar. Any implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose on this product is limited to the duration of this warranty. Some states do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitation may not apply to you.
- This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights which may vary from state to state.
Procedure for Replacement or Return within 60 Days
- Your item is covered by our 60-day money-back guarantee, which starts upon receipt of your item. To return the product,
the original purchaser must package the product securely and include the following information.
- The reason for return or request for refund or replacement, and (4) either proof of purchase or order number. Place the information inside an envelope, place the envelope inside the package with the unit, and mail the package to the address listed below.
Tristar Products, Inc.
500 Returns Road
Wallingford, CT 06495
Pressure cookers use steam pressure that builds up inside the closed pot to cook food. As the pot heats up, the liquid inside forms steam, which raises the pressure in the pot, ultimately cooking food at up to triple the normal rate. After active cooking is complete, the pressure built up inside the cooker needs to be released.
The Power Quick Pot pressure cooker has a safety mechanism that prevents the Lid from opening until the pressure has been lowered. There are two ways to release the pressure: natural release and rapid release. While both methods depressurize the cooker, the process for each differs and affects food differently.
When and How to Use Natural Release
The natural release works exactly the way it sounds. Using this method, you are letting the pressure reduce on its own slowly. Once the active cooking cycle is finished, you can press the Cancel button and the pressure will automatically slowly drop inside the Power Quick Pot. Because of this slow drop in pressure and heat, when using natural release, food continues cooking even though active cooking is complete. Use this method when cooking meat, foods that increase in volume or foam (like dried beans and legumes), soups, or any other foods that are primarily liquid.
To open the cooker using the natural release method
- Once the timer reaches 0, the Power Quick The pot will automatically switch to Keep Warm. Press the Keep Warm/Cancel button to cancel.
- Let the Power Quick Pot sit to naturally release the pressure (the time for natural release varies depending on the type of food and the level of fill. Overall, it can take between 10 and 30 mins.)
- After all, steam has evacuated the Power Quick Pot, remove the Lid by twisting the Lid clockwise at approximately 30° (NOTE: The Lid will not turn if the Magnetic Pressure Sensor detects that the Unit is still highly pressurized or if the Release Switch is still being held). Use the Lid Handle to Lift the Lid. The Lid should come off easily.
When and How to Use Rapid Release
The rapid release works best with foods like eggs, vegetables, or delicate ingredients that don’t benefit from any extra cooking time. This method is also helpful when you need to check the doneness of food or add additional ingredients to the Power Quick Pot, as you might with a stew.
To open the cooker using the rapid release method
Once the timer reaches 0, the Power Quick Pot will automatically switch to Keep Warm. Press the Keep Warm/Cancel button to cancel the cooking cycle.
Switch the Pressure Release Valve to the Open position (be careful as steam will evacuate and could burn you.)
After all, steam has evacuated the cooker, remove the Lid by twisting the Lid clockwise at approximately 30° (NOTE: The Lid will not turn if the Magnetic Pressure Sensor detects that the Unit is still highly pressurized or if the Release Switch is still being held). Use the Lid Handle to Lift the Lid. The Lid should come off easily.
Does Which One You Use Really Make a Difference?
Yes, the method you use to depressurize your Power Quick Pot makes a difference. It’s best to avoid using rapid release when cooking foods that increase in volume, froth, or foam, like legumes, or those that are mostly liquid like soup, as the hot liquid can boil up and vent through the Release Valve. In addition, the method of release can affect the food you are cooking.
Follow This Rule
Use a natural release when cooking meat, dried beans and legumes, rice, soup, and other foods that are mostly liquid.
Use rapid release when adding additional ingredients to the pot (like with a stew) or cooking eggs, vegetables, delicate foods, or ingredients that do not benefit from additional cook time.
Special Instructions for Cooking Thick-Texture & High-Fat Foods
Foods with a thick texture (beans and lentils, for example) and those with a high-fat content (soups, stews, and chili, for example), will naturally bubble or spit when the Lid is opened. To help prevent this from happening after releasing the pressure, while the Power Quick Pot is on the counter, and before opening it, you can hold the Power Quick Pot by its handles and gently rock the unit from side to side 2–3 times. Do NOT pick up the Power Quick Pot to shake it.